What does it take to be an employee with Landscape Technology Group, INC.?
Landscape Technology Group is a locally owned corporate business, open in Gypsum since 1998. We are a design/build landscape company with a retail nursery and garden center. Our focus is on landscaping, nursery stock, and other garden-related materials. Our growth depends on repeat customers who rely on a combination of quality workmanship, products, and services they receive from our employees, as well as the satisfaction they get from their overall experience with us. In short, we wouldn’t be in business without our customers.
We consider our employees our most important asset, and this is what we expect from you:
Physical Work environment
You will work mainly outdoors in all types of weather conditions including sun, heat, cold, rain and snow. Attire appropriate for weather conditions is your responsibility. Your job is physical, and requires frequent bending, grabbing and lifting. You will be on your feet all day, standing and walking, and throughout you need to be both pleasant and energetic. NOTE: You will be expected to be able to lift at least a five-gallon shrub/tree and a 3 cu. ft. bag of soil and/or mulch (approx. 50 lb.) without assistance.
Social Work Environment
Teamwork is an essential aspect of the job – it is important that you are able to get along well with people in order to be a cohesive part of our team. All employees are expected to get along with each other – we do not condone personal complaints of fellow employees unless their actions make you feel uncomfortable or affect your ability to do your job.
We expect every employee to carry their weight and perform their responsibilities in an appropriate manner. In return, we are flexible and will support your growth both personally and professionally.
As an employee of the Landscape Technology Group, you are expected to offer polite, prompt, and courteous service with a smile. Our employees must have the ability to anticipate a customer’s needs before being asked. You will need to have the ability to be patient when confronted with a challenge and to continually provide knowledge of all our plants and products. Our customer’s time is valuable to them and the help they receive from our staff should be nothing less than immediate and excellent.
Garden Center Assistant Manager
Hands-on management of the garden center and its staff in such a way that outstanding quality and customer service are kept up to a high standard. Assist customers in finding all the products they need to produce a beautiful landscape. Ensure excellent merchandising of all product lines. Assist with the monitoring of sales, inventory and expenditures to meet a budget. Develop and implement plans to improve and grow the department. Assist in the interviewing, training, scheduling and reviewing of staff. To obtain profitable results through proper and effective management of sales staff, enforcing floor and operational functions and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Promote personnel efficiency, production and scheduling cost-effectively.
- Control payroll hours to budget as well as adjusting to current business trends.
- Create, implement, and oversee all daily tasks.
- Document daily functions for payroll and operations review.
- Assist in the interviewing, training, coaching, appraising, rewarding and disciplining of sales associates
- Actively seek out ways that the customer can be better served.
- Follow through on customer complaints/comments/compliments, acknowledging them and taking further action when needed.
- Possess and further develop effective listening and communication skills. Encourage others to utilize these skills.
- Approach all communication with clients with politeness, and enthusiasm. Greet customers in a timely and friendly manner.
- Know all register functions and be able to perform these functions correctly and efficiently.
- Know and correctly be able to process all forms of payment according to policy. Be able to count and give correct change.
- Keep cash/wrap area clean, organized and stocked with all proper forms and documents and all other supplies necessary to process sales.
- Ensure that proper procedures are followed for cash transactions and bank deposits.
- Perform daily opening and/or closing register procedures.
- Responsible for learning the sun/shade and watering requirements for all plant products.
- Be aware of all current sales and/or promotions.
- Know the product we carry and what items can be cross-sold with that product.
- Proper administration techniques of the fertilizers, weed killers, and repellants.
Care and Maintenance of all plant products and hard goods
- Determine watering needs for all plant products and coordinate the watering schedule.
- Straighten and consolidate plant product, as needed, keeping displays full, neat and clean.
- Straighten, consolidate and dust gift area, as needed, keeping displays full, neat and clean
- Deadhead and maintain plants for best appearance.
Sales and Marketing
- Develop and implement creative plans to increase store sales
- Oversee pricing, stock and quality control
- Prepare promotional materials and visual displays
- Merchandise the seasonal aisles and non-seasonal, basic, and seasonal end caps.
- Execute weekly sales ads and pricing changes
- Responsible for developing clientele portfolios and drive sales by fostering existing client relationships and building new ones.
- Find opportunities to recommend or promote LTG’s Maintenance, Design and Construction services.
- Strong Visual merchandising
- Organizing special promotions, displays and events. Assist with promotional events and publicity.
- Ensure the store opens and closes at the appropriate time.
- Interact with vendors for orders and to timely address shipping issues.
- Receive merchandise deliveries from vendors, verify vendor invoice information is accurate and enter information into the POS system.
- Ensuring that inventory controls are put in place and implemented.
- Prepare the store for physical inventory by ensuring merchandise on the sales floor, greenhouse, grounds, and stock room is in order and easy to access. Assist with physical count and entry.
- Complete the duties and responsibilities of the Store Manager in his/her absence.
- Assist with the general maintenance of the store, both inside and outside.
- Enforce business operations systems and make recommendations for improvements
- Help analysis of operation reports and make recommendations for improvement to upper management
- Manage controllable expenses to meet company operating and customer service standards.
- Accept special assignments as directed by management
- Report to senior management
- Attend management meeting
- Undertake training and development deemed necessary
- Ensure that good health and safety practice are followed in the Garden Center
- Comply with Equal Opportunities Policy and Procedures in the workplace.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- A.A Degree required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred – Equivalent experience will be considered.
- 2+ years in retail store management with a successful track record and increasing levels of responsibility.
- Ability to manage day-to-day operations of the store to meet or exceed company goals and standards.
- Self-starter with the ability to communicate at all levels of the organization and the drive to meet and exceed measurable objectives.
- Ability to develop, plan and execute a merchandising plan to increase sales.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
- Accuracy, planning and organization skills.
- Excellent computer skills. Proficiency with the Microsoft® Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) and CADD. Able to learn new software quickly.
- Strong knowledge of annuals, perennials, tropicals, basic garden design and horticulture is required
- Demonstrated experience driving business and building teams, with a proven ability to efficiently and professionally meet client needs
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; detail-oriented with excellent follow-through
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively, combined with a sense of urgency
- Able to work a flexible work schedule, including weekend availability; during peak season every weekend will be required
- Ability to lift and move product weighing up to 50 pounds
- Ability to train, coach and develop associates at all levels.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of computer networks
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently, and as part of a team, in a demanding work environment that experiences frequent pressure
- Ability to multitask and effectively delegate and follow up